Many parents feel the responsibility of choosing a school for their child as a heavy weight that rests squarely on their shoulders.
You might feel this way too. With around 10,000 schools in Australia spanning the government, systemic (e.g. Catholic), and private education sectors, you face a diverse and sometimes overwhelming offering of education choices for your child, especially if you live in a metropolitan area.
The right school v the best school
It can be easy to get caught up in trying to find the ‘best’ or ‘most desirable’ school when we should focus on the best school for your child.
Consider your child’s strengths, needs and character. Are they shy or confident? A leader or a follower? Do they enjoy sports or love music? Once you’ve identified these traits you can match these to the programs the school is offering like a strong music and performing arts program, or choosing a smaller school for a shy child.
Identify your education preferences
Identifying your educational preferences goes beyond good academic results and the school’s reputation. Consider your values, your hopes for your child, rules, single sex or coed or any philosophical or religious views.
By matching your child’s needs to your educational preferences you can now begin to select schools that match your requirements and arrange a visit.
Tips for school visits
- Read on up on the school before you visit. Check their website or Facebook page (if they have a page).
- Write down any questions you may have and bring them with you.
- Try to visit the school more than once.
- Try to meet the Principal.
- Gauge your child’s comfort levels during your visit. This is a good indicator on whether the school is right for them.
- Ask your child what they liked (or didn’t like) about the school.
- ‘Go with your gut’. Your instincts about what is the best setting for your child are important. Try to visualise them in the classroom and participating in the school’s activities. If you can’t imagine your child at the school, then it might not be the best option for them.
Download your FREE ‘Choosing a School with Confidence’ checklist here.
To book a spot at an Open Morning register here.